Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do Dogs Lie?

Well that would give us the ability to reason, a much heated debate amongst humans! You tell me, here's food for thought.
This morning, Charlie came to the store for grooming. When he reached the open front door he high tailed it in the opposite direction as if to say "I'm not going in there again". Now my mom knows that Charlie loves it here, he loves playing with me and he likes being groomed, so what's the deal Charlie? Mom goes into the lobby and picks him up, reassuring him that every thing is alright, while his mom tells him to "stop it" and tells my mom "he hates having baths at home". Well we've never seen this side of him. His mom turns to leave and says "you'll be fine, Charlie" and walks out the door. No sooner does she leave, Charlie is all happy and looks to me for some playtime as he dashes across the floor, tail wagging! According to him (he told me in private) "I have to make my mom think she's the bad guy, what kind of dog would I be if I didn't try to make everyone feel guilty about leaving me behind! It's all a ruse", he says.
Now I remember my grandma telling me about the dogs she used to have when my mom was growing up. Rex and Heidi were beautiful German Shepherds. Rex was a typical male dog, went about his dog business while his sister, Heidi, was a human trapped in a dogs body! She used to trick Rex into believing someone was at the door, just to occupy the couch that Rex was on. Now it's not like there was no place else to sit, she just wanted that couch. She'd get up, run to the front door, barking, manipulating her brother into the  protect the house mode and then she'd run and steal his spot. She knew there was no one out there, and he'd fall for it every time!
So you tell me, do dogs lie? You bet they they do!

1 comment:

  1. Cyrus,
    Whoops! My mom read this blog and now she knows my game. Don't give up our secrets like this!
    Charlie
    P.S. It was fun seeing you today... and I look great!

    ReplyDelete